Name:
Location: New Dundee, Ontario, Canada

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Gideon's Encounter

“Gideon replied, “If now I have found favor in your eyes,
give me a sign that it is really you talking to me.
PLease do not go away until I come back and bring my offering and set it before you.”
And the Lord said, “I will wait until you return.” Joshua 6:17, 18

As I read the context in which these verses rest, I find a strange parallel with my own life. Here is a man who finds himself in the midst of a people who are being persecuted because of their lack of belief and practice. Into such a situation, God reaches out and touches the heart of a man to lead HIs people out of the morass of iniquity and to lead them back to God. Like Moses, like the prophets, Gideon finds himself inadequate to the task and wants to know why he has been nominated by God.

There seems to be no human reason why Gideon should have been selected – family was not prominent, he is young, he is experiencing the same circumstances as those he is selected to lead. How can I do this is the thought which courses through his mind and to which God provides an answer: “Go in this strength of yours and save Israel from the hands of Midian. Haven’t I sent you? … Because I am with you, you will strike down Midian as easily as if they were just one man.”

Powerful calling! Powerful instructions! Powerful anointing! Powerful accompaniment and mandate! We naturally ask – wasn’t that sufficient to initiate Gideon’s active role in leading his people back to God? Would it be for us? Would we understand as clearly as Gideon that God had called us? Would we take the initiative and move forward counting on God’s provision and action in our situation?

Perhaps we are more Gideonite than we want to admit. The mind becomes a battlefield and out thoughts race between extremes – was that God speaking? was that just my active mind at work? Was my mind playing games and really just putting my wants and wishes out there as “from God”? How do I know which is God and which is my wishful thinking? How did Gideon know?

As the next verses show, he struggled similarly to how we do – uncertainty ruled even though “The angel of the Lord came … sat down …appeared … said …turned and said …said …” How could Gideon be certain? After all, if this was merely his mind at work, think of the ridicule to which he could be exposed! Think of the impact on his future reputation! Think of …

Gideon was seeking a greater level of assurance and so went to get a meal prepared. I find it interesting to read that while Gideon was in conversation with the angel (Adonai), he still felt the need for further confirmation. In answer to his query, the angel responds and says, “I’ll wait until you get back.”

STOP and consider! This passage presents both ideas of “the angel of the Lord” and “Adonai” speaking to Gideon and then this so human response, “I’ll wait.” This is God who is going to wait while Gideon prepares a meal. God, the Creator, waiting on the created! Somehow we want to believe that there are more urgent tasks for God to busy Himself with than waiting on a Gideon, or us. But isn’t that this mystery of relationship with God? He reached down to fallen humanity and desires to have fellowship with them – you and me!

But the Lord was not finished with Gideon just yet. When the meal was presented – the meat, the matzot, the broth – the instructions were given to “lay them on the rock and pour out the broth.” In an instant, that which was common, became an offering acceptable to God and was blazingly consumed with a mysterious fire which ascended from the rock. As sight registered on the mind, Gideon realized in a flash, in that split second, I am in the presence of God Almighty! What terrible consequences am I going to experience? –  Similar to the experience of Isaiah, of Ezekiel, of Moses, of Paul … Terror filled his mind, “Oh no! My Lord! Adonai! Because I’ve seen the angel of the Lord face-to-face!”– certain death!

In that moment of immense doubt, terror, intimidation and fear, God speaks words of peace, “Shalom to you, don’t be afraid, you won’t die!”

Today as the inadequacies of our own strength, training, understanding and mission clarify in our minds, may the experience of Gideon give us courage to follow where He leads!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines